SIMPLE TIP OF THE DAY:
BE CAREFUL WHEN HANDLING DRYER LINT!
Sounds crazy right?
Over the top title? Maybe not!
In fact flame retardants accumulate in the dryer lint in your home, and is likely the most concentrated area of flame retardants in the home! We know that flame retardant chemicals are heavily linked to a long list of health problems …and one of these studies showed lowered IQs when exposed to certain flame retardants!
“Studies have shown that over time, PBDEs migrate into the environment and accumulate in living organisms, where they can disrupt endocrine activity and impair thyroid regulation and brain development. Early exposure to PBDEs has been linked to low birth weight and impaired cognitive, motor and behavioral development. One study in 2010 showed that children with high levels of exposure to PBDEs scored lower on infant development and preschool IQ tests.”
There are many more ways that you can be exposed and we will cover those in future blogs…but for now, WASH YOUR HANDS after handling dryer lint, don’t let children touch it, and have a trashcan near the laundry room so you don’t have to drag it through the whole house!