Baby personal products are such critical products choices when it comes to protecting your little one from toxic chemicals. You will literally be slathering and soaking your baby in the ingredients that you choose for your products. And babies have thinner skins that adults and soak up more of these chemicals. It is important to choose the safest products you can!
You may have heard on the news lately that Johnson and Johnson has been under fire for their baby products containing formaldehyde releasing chemicals….and moms are even more upset to learn that they DON’T use these chemicals in products for European children! Just like Nestle and other companies who don’t use GMOs, artificial colors or other chemicals in products in Europe, but toxify our US children (because they say the FDA say it is safe of course)… It is just wrong! We need to get educated and put our money where our children’s health matters! By purchasing safer products for ourselves and our babies we tell big companies that we won’t buy their toxin-laden ones! Just take a quick look at Johnson and Johnson no more tears baby shampoo! The only ingredient that isn’t a chemical is water!
From the company: #1 Choice of hospitals? No more tears? An ultra mild cleanser that is dermatologist tested and gentle enough for newborns.
But what is in it really?? Let’s go through the ingredients.
• Cocomidopropyl Betaine- Used as an antistatic agent- Known human system toxicant, suspected environmental toxin, No studies on developmental, reproductive, neurotoxicity effects. We don’t know what it can do in these areas http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/701520/COCAMIDOPROPYL_BETAINE/
• PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate-Used as Fragrance Ingredient, Cleansing Agent, Solubilizing Agent for EMULSIFYING-Strong evidence of human skin toxicant, Limited evidence of sense organ toxicity (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient.php?ingred06=704685)
• Sodium Laureth Sulfate- Used as a cleansing and emulsifying agent- Organ system toxicity-Biggest concern is contamination with highly toxic ingredients such as 1,4 Dioxane and Ethylene oxide which are known cancer causers and should be avoided! http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/706089/SODIUM_LAURETH_SULFATE/
• PEG-150 Distearate-Used as a cleansing agent- Moderate concerns of organ system toxicity with contamination of highly toxic ingredients such as 1,4 dioxane and Ethylene oxide which are known cancer causers and should be avoided http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient.php?ingred06=704526
• Tetrasodium EDTA-Used as a Chelating Agent – Classified as expected to be toxic or harmful, Limited evidence of eye toxicity, Penetration enhancer http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/706510/TETRASODIUM_EDTA/
• Sodium Chloride-This is just salt.
• Polyquaternium-10-An antistatic agent- no concern
• Fragrance-This is probably the biggest concern- fragrance is created using phthalates-they are banned in Europe- known endocrine (hormone) disruptors-linked to birth defects, developmental problems, probable cancer causer, Shown to damage the liver, kidneys, lungs and reproductive systems in animal studies http://www.ewg.org/chemindex/term/480
• Quaternium-15-CURRENTLY BEING PHASED OUT- used as a preservative; it acts as a formaldehyde releaser. It is a Known human immune system toxicant, Human skin toxicant – strong evidence, organ system toxicity-Classified as expected to be toxic or harmful and Classified as medium human health priority in Canada http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/705478/QUATERNIUM-15/. This ingredient is currently being phased out due to customer demand; however, you will need to check the bottle, as these will remain on the shelves until sold.
• Citric Acid
Does this sound like a list of ingredients that would be the best choice to use on anyone…much less a new baby? These ingredients are used for their ability to prolong shelf life, which of course increases profits, and also for appearance and consistency, and to “look, feel, and smell” how we have been trained that these products should look feel and smell. These products continue to change and new chemicals are added as the technology increases to boost profits.
Sooooo… then you find other products that are “safe” and “for baby” like Arbonne, Aveeno, and others. Chemical free? Think again! These contain ingredients like triethanolamine, benzyl alcohol, benzalkonium chloride, PEGs , limonene and dimethicone (just to name a few) that rank moderate for toxicity on the cosmetics database for safety. (We don’t recommend anything other than low and try to only recommend 0) Check those and the other brands on the cosmeticsdatabase.com and you will find some of the same chemicals that are in “conventional” brands.
And then there has been the fiasco about some “organic” type brands that have reformulated their products like California Baby…causing many babies to break out in rashes and other reactions to the new ingredients. So what is a mom to do? The answer is to stick to smaller brands that are doing the right thing by babies and making safe products!
In comes Dolphin Organics to the rescue! We LOVE their products for baby because they are safer choices and they work! They have several products including baby shampoo and lotions. In fact, they have just introduced a new line of products called SIMPLY CITRUS that are the same great product as the original with a yummy citrus scent (of course not made with any chemical fragrance nasties!) They also have their original fragrance free choices for moms who don’t want any smells other than yummy baby smell. Their products are made with natural and organic ingredients with derivatives of coconut and sunflower oils as a base. Their lotions contain soothing calendula and oat for sensitive (and irritated) baby skin. The shampoo is soothing and not irritating. No rash worries here! The lotions are creamy and nourishing. I loved the citrus line for me!
We have done a lot of sleuthing in this category…and it is confusing with all the misleading claims of “safe” and “non-toxic”! And then you have to find one that works! Well stress no more moms! We did all the heavy lifting and researching! We hope you will love Dolphin Organics as much as we have!