So I am constantly contacting companies about what is in their products, so it is hard to surprise me when it comes to companies being misleading or evasive. However today I was particularly frustrated and angry with Near East “natural” foods and wanted to share how these companies try to fool the average consumer to help you protect yourself and your children from toxic GMO foods. I personally purchase organic to avoid GMO for this reason! Look out for marketing ploys and distractions that lead you to believe their product is natural and safe! Let’s take a look how Far East does this!
On the Far East website this is what they say about their product
1 It is created by a small, family owned company
2. The use only the best ingredients
3. 100% Natural with No Artificial Ingredients!
4. Their dedication to simple, high quality food
Sounds wonderful doesn’t it? Safe and natural made by a small. family company!
But let’s look a little closer!
5. Their FAQ answer is about GMO food.
So there may be a possibility that GMO may be present but certainly not on purpose right? Again, they avoid mentioning anything about their soy and other ingredients in the product, trying to keep the focus on grains,which as of now are not GMO (other than corn).
So we reach out and ask if their products contain GMO…in fact, I specifically asked about their soy as I know rice and oats are not GMO at this point to make them answer the GMO question specifically. Here is the response
Thank you for contacting us.
The safety of Quaker’s products is of the utmost importance to us. This is why Quaker U.S. uses only foods that have been declared safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), including foods developed through biotechnology. The FDA has concluded that these foods are the same – and therefore, as safe – as other foods in their nutrition, composition and ability to be used as foods in other products.
Quaker’s oats and oatmeal are not developed through biotechnology. In fact, there are no oats developed through biotechnology currently available on the market. While Quaker does not require or exclude the use of these foods, the use of corn, canola and soya developed through food biotechnology is widespread. Currently, there is no system in place in the United States that separates these foods. So, there is a high probability that some of Quaker’s products contain foods developed through biotechnology.
Food biotechnology is not a new phenomenon. Since Roman times, plants have been selectively crossbred to develop crops that are tastier, more hearty and more resistant to certain pests and plant diseases than their predecessors. Modern biotechnology provides an ability to transfer desired traits into plants much faster and more selectively. This, in turn, can result in fewer pesticides being used, greater conservation of land and water, better tasting and more nutritional foods and more abundant food supplies to address world hunger.
Quaker will continue to use only foods that are declared safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Additionally, Quaker will use only foods that we believe are safe for our consumers’ families.
We appreciate the opportunity to respond, Jennifer.
Quaker Consumer Relations
A Division of PepsiCo
So let’s go back to their website and look at what it really means!
1 It is created by a small, family owned company (companies use this ALL The time to give customers the warm fuzzies and make them believe their products are safe..PepsiCo now owns this company…hardly a small, family run company)
2. The use only the best ingredients ( According to their email response, GMO is the best, they taste better, are safer with less pesticides, etc…all which we know is not true. GMOs are doused with more Roundup and pesticides!)
3. 100% Natural with No Artificial Ingredients! (this is the real lie…since when is GMO natural!?)
4. Their dedication to simple, high quality food (nothing terribly simple about zapping the gene of a bacteria or other organism into another’s DNA)
5. Their response actually promotes GMO which is contrary to their website! According to their response GMOs use less pesticides, greater conservation of land and water, better testing and more nutritional foods, and a more abundant food supply to feed the hunger! WOW! If you don’t know better or haven’t done your research you really have no chance with their marketing! Don’t all of these things sound wonderful! Companies such as Kashi and others are all doing the same thing! Learn the truth here!
Think the government wouldn’t allow something that wasn’t safe? Click here to see who from Monsanto (who creates GMO) is in what positions of the US Government
So what does this mean and how do I avoid GMOs?
1. There is good news that companies that advertise products as 100% natural and include GMOs are now getting taken to court for lying to the public! Wesson and other Canola and corn oil makers claim their oils are 100% natural yet are GMO. Consumers are fed up.
2. Natural right now means basically nothing unless it pertains to meat. With MEAT it means, according to the USDA: A product containing no artificial ingredient or added color and is only minimally processed. Minimal processing means that the product was processed in a manner that does not fundamentally alter the product. The label must include a statement explaining the meaning of the term natural (such as “no artificial ingredients; minimally processed”).
3. Watch out for companies who state part of their product is non-GMO. If it states that their rice for example is non-GMO, read the ingredients. Unless rice is the only ingredient you are probably eating GMO.
4. Avoid companies who say “there is no way to avoid them..suck…sorry” We do not want to support companies with this attitude.
5. Find out who owns the company here. With Far East for example, I didn’t know Pepsi owned them until I received the email back and it said PepsiCo under the reps name. Large corporations are using GMO almost always and when they buy smaller companies that do not, they often change the ingredients hoping you won’t notice.
6. When in doubt email the company and ask specifically. If you get an email like the one above, you can bet it has GMO!
7. Use the Non GMO buying guide to help! Click here to download and print!
8. GET INVOLVED! Several states such as California are trying to get labeling requirements for GMO products. Sign petitions and join organizations to learn about GMO and fight these chemicals in our food supply….for the health of your family and children!